[TN-Bird] Iceland GULLS and Thayer's GULLS - Lake Co. TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:37:30 EST

Feb. 13, 2005
Proctor City Road
North of Tiptonville
West of 78 Highway
Lake Co. TN

YES! that is plural on both counts, and add Lesser Black-backed GULLS to
that. I've been getting some great gulls that are feeding over the waste
treatment ponds at the prison in Tiptonville. These gulls rest in a field  just
north
east of the prison when there is water present.

Two weeks ago, I had California, Lesser Black-backed and Thayer's but last
week there was no water. I was with Clyde Blum and Carol Fegarito from
Chattanooga and we had started with a bang on Saturday in Tunica Co. MS with
another
Ferruginous Hawk at a different location from the bird I found 6  weeks ago.

Sunday afternoon, we had THREE Iceland Gulls, TWO Thayer's  and TWO Lesser
Black-backed Gulls in the huge mix of gulls at this  location. Needless to say,
we left the area at dusk all grinning and heads  spinning. I have photos of
all the birds including a few with 2 of  the Iceland Gulls standing side by
side
and I missed a shot when one  Iceland was playing tag with one of the
Thayer's. All birds were present at one  time but usually scattered.

One of the Thayer's was so pale that I thought it might be a Kumlien's but
after viewing the photos I think it was just a Thayer's but a very different
looking Thayer's. There was evidently a male and female (size difference was
very evident) both lightly marked and another bird that had course  darker
markings, all three had white primaries. Both of the Lesser  Black-backed Gulls
were immature and probably the same two I had 2 weeks  ago.

Nancy Moore and Betty Sumara got there in time to see the birds before  they
and a thousand Ring-billed and Herring Gulls promptly left to go to roost  at
5 PM.

We had some super looks at some special birds on our weekend jaunt from
north MS to KY but the Iceland Gulls were the frosting (appropriate term here)
on
the cake. I'll write up the adventure tomorrow and try to put together the
photos for viewing soon.
Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA