[TN-Bird] IMBD at Rankin Bottoms

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 18:47:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

On May 8, 2004 Tracey Muise and I (Charlie Muise) briefly counted the
birds around Dutch Bottoms in Cocke County.  Then we joined Leslie
Gibbens, Michael Sledjeski and Linda Wright to count around Rankin
Bottoms in Cocke County, TN.  It was a beautiful day and we had some
nice sightings.  In addition to birds, we saw many dragonflies and
encountered at least 4 species of frog and one toad.  We did hear one
cicada.  Below is the list and numbers of birds.

Highlights included 2 Black-necked Stilts, a Lincoln?s Sparrow, 2
Savannah Sparrows and a Warbling Vireo.  Nests of 9 species were
encountered.

(Michael later emailed me to let me know of a Barn Owl and several
more of the common species that the 3 of them found after we left.)

Dutch Bottoms  (2 observers, 30 minutes by car:  2 miles covered)
Double-crested Cormorant:  3
Great Blue Heron:  1
Mallard:  10
Killdeer:  4
Ring-billed Gull:  2
Rock Pigeon:  20
Mourning Dove:  5
Eastern Kingbird:  1
Cliff Swallow:  at least 20
Northern Rough-winged Swallow:  12
American Crow:  3

Blue Jay:  2
Carolina Wren:  3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher:  3
American Robin:  2
Eastern Bluebird:  6
Northern Mockingbird:  2
European Starling:  20
Prothonotary Warbler:  1
Yellow Warbler:  1
Common Yellowthroat:  1

Indigo Bunting:  5
Northern Cardinal:  6
Song Sparrow:  4
Red-winged Blackbird:  15
Brown-headed Cowbird:  2
Common Grackle:  30
Orchard Oriole:  1
American Goldfinch:  3

Rankin Bottoms:  (5 observers in 1 party.  4.5 hours and 5 miles by
canoe, ½ hour and ½ mile by foot; 2 observers in one party spent 30
minutes in the car, traveling 2 miles)

Double Crested Flycatcher:  6
Green Heron:  11
Great Blue Heron:  20 (saw at least one nest)
Great Egret:  7
Canada Goose:  56 (Saw at least one nest)
Mallard:  29
Wood Duck:  40
Blue-winged Teal:  1
Bald Eagle:  1 (adult)
Red-tailed Hawk:  1

Red-shouldered Hawk:  1
Osprey:  8 (Saw at least one nest)
Turkey Vulture:  15
Black Vulture:  1
Killdeer: 6
Solitary Sandpiper:  4
Greater Yellowlegs:  4
Lesser Yellowlegs:  26
Least Sandpiper:  9
Black-necked Stilt: 2

Pectoral Sandpiper:  4
(missing:  Wilson?s Snipe and Spotted Sandpiper)
Rock Dove:  1
Mourning Dove:  7
Yellow-billed Cuckoo:  3
Chimney Swift:  5
Ruby-throated Hummingbird:  1
(missing:  Belted Kingfisher)
Red-bellied Woodpecker:  6
Downy Woodpecker:  3
Pileated Woodpecker:  3
Northern Flicker:  2

Eastern Kingbird:  13 (Saw at least one nest)
Great-crested Flycatcher:  2
Eastern Phoebe:  1
Tree Swallow:  16
Barn Swallow:  4
Northern Rough-winged Swallow:  4
Cliff Swallow:  60 (Saw at least one nest)
Blue Jay:  5
American Crow:  10
Tufted Titmouse:  6

Carolina Chickadee:  12 (Saw at least one nest)
Carolina Wren:  8
Blue-gray Gnatchatcher:  39 (Saw at least one nest)
Eastern Bluebird:  3
American Robin:  1
Northern Mockingbird:  4
Brown Thrasher:  1
Gray Catbird:  2
European Starling:  35 (Saw at least one nest)
Red-eyed Vireo:  7

White-eyed Vireo:  4
Warbling Vireo:  1
Yellow-breasted Chat: 2
Common Yellowthroat:  7
Yellow Warbler:  3 (Saw at least one nest)
Prothonotary Warbler:  15 (Saw at least one nest, a conservative
count)
Yellow-rumped Warbler:  1
Prairie Warbler:  3
Ovenbird:  1
Scarlet Tanager:  3

Summer Tanager:  1
Indigo Bunting:  35
Northern Cardinal:  10
Rose-breasted Grosbeak:  1
Eastern Towhee:  4
Song Sparrow:  6
Field Sparrow:  4
Savannah Sparrow:  2
Lincoln?s Sparrow:  1 (Held tight to one location:  nest?)
Chipping Sparrow:  2

Brown-headed Cowbird:  10
Common Grackle:  61 (probably a VERY conservative count)
Orchard Oriole:  10
Baltimore Oriole:  3
Red-winged Blackbird:  60
Eastern Meadowlark:  2
American Goldfinch:  18

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist near
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer."  -Edward Abbey