[tn-bird] IMBD - Morgan Co

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 15:55:35

I planned to spend most of Saturday counting birds in Morgan County,
especially around the Wartburg area, but some car trouble sent me home
early :-(
Still, I got in a few hours and led a bird walk at the Lilly Bridge area of
the Obed Wild & Scenic River. Nothing unexpected, but did learn that the
Obed area looks like a great place for future birding trips. I'd like to
check out some of the areas where pine trees have died, due to S Pine
Beetles, to see how this is affecting the nesting bird population. (was
heading there when the 'check engine' light came on...so another time...)
There are plenty of areas with tall cliffs where ravens may some day be
found again...
Here's the list from the Lilly Bridge area, just to give some idea of what
is around there:

Canada Goose  2
Black Vulture  7
Turkey VUlture  24
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  1
Hummingbird  1
Pileated Wp  2
Phoebe  4
N Rough-winged Swallow  6
Blue Jay  3
Am Crow  1
C Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  2
Carolina Wren  3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Am Robin  1
Gray Catbird  2
Blue-headed Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  1
White-eyed Vireo  3
N Parula  1
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Ovenbird  2
Black-throated Green W  2
Hooded W  5
Prairie W  3
Worm-eating W  2
Yellow-throated W  2
Louisiana Waterthrush  2
Yellow-breasted Chat  2
Scarlet Tanager  2
N Cardinal  2
Indigo Bunting  5
Field Sparrow  1
E Towhee  3
Am Goldfinch  4

along the roads leading to this area, there were some fields that looked
like they should ahve had Bobolinks in migration, and maybe Grasshopper
Sparrows might nest, but I didn't hear any.
Did find a couple other Chats, Kentucky, Blackpoll & Yellow-rumped
Warblers, lots of Hooded Warblers, Yellow-throated Vireo, some Gray
Catbirds, Purple Martins and several Chipping Sparrows.

David Trently,
Knoxville, TN