[TN-Bird] ID help, please

  • From: Beverly Threadgill <karmachanic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 06:48:01 -0800 (PST)

Lately, my husband and I have seen, a smallish hawk-like bird that appears to
be black, with white on the underside ends of the wings. The white shape is
very distinctive--makes almost a clear white oval at the end of the wings.
We've seen this type bird at our old house, on the farm in Adairville, KY,
hunting the fields there; we've also seen in Springfield and in Ridgetop.
(obviously not the same bird, just the same species.) What is it? I've looked
through my bird books and on the internet and I'm not finding anything. Can
anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Beverly Threadgill Robey
Adairville, Logan County, KY and Madison, Davidson County, TN