[tn-bird] Hunt for scissor-tailed flycatchers

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:59:24 EDT

I headed down just a bit south of here yesterday evening after work to see if
I could find the Scissor-Tailed Flycatchers in the area of Hwy 231 and McKaig
Road.

I made a circuit around the "block". I traveled down Hwy 231 south out of
Murfreesboro, then right onto Crescent Road which ends at a "T". I turned
right onto Webb Road. It goes north then curves sharply west which is where
Mt. Zion Church is. Out in the country with lots of trees and fields around.
I stopped in there and sat there for a minute checking it out. Might be a
good place for someone to check out sometime. Then back onto Webb Road
continuing west. That ends at a "T" which is Barfield Crescent Road. I turned
north/right onto that. It curves back east and shortly after that on your
right is the entrance to Barfield Crescent Park - a recreational park.

The various parking lots there have numerous light poles and I was checking
out a few of them. But I have never seen a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and only
know their calls from what is on the Stokes Eastern CD. And the park is so
big you could probably spend alot of the day checking it out. I just cruised
around a couple of the parking lots and then headed back out onto Barfield
Crescent Road and continued east again back to Hwy 231, turned right and back
south and crossed over to the other side, checking out the area near McKaig
Road. I didn't find anything and headed back home.

So I guess it was more like a "snipe hunt" - lol - for me. But I think
checking out Barfield Crescent Park might be worth it. A couple of forks of
the Stones River pass through it and border it.

I will be at the NTOS meeting at Radnor Lake this evening and will bring my
films of possible Bewick's Wren for any who wants to view them. I will also
bring these to the NTOS field trip this Saturday.

Happy Birding to all

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, TN