[TN-Bird] Hummingbird back up?

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:34:56 EDT

Hello Birders,
Here in the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville, Davidson County, just a
few blocks east of the Cleece's Ferry Boat Ramp on the Cumberland River, I've
been having lots of hummingbirds since yesterday (Thursday) at around 12:06 PM.

I had the same phenomena the weekend of September 11-12, 2004.  At that time,
I was called by acquaintances who live east of Donelson, but not quite to
Percy Priest, across town from me who were experiencing the same thing that
weekend.  They feed hummers, but are not enthusiastic birders.  They wondered
what
was going on and asked me because they knew I was REALLY interested in birds.

At that time, I just kind of thought it was a final big migratory push, but I
am beginning to wonder if the massive number of hummers that I've had on
those two occasions are due to the birds "backing up" in our area instead of
steadily streaming on down into "Hurricane Highway" on the Gulf.  Any ideas
from
some of you birders who are better versed on hummingbird behavior than I am
would be welcome.  These little darlings continue to baffle me.  I just love
them.

Along with the feeding at the hummingbird feeders, one bird appeared to be
checking out the aphids on a grape leaf earlier.  I'm not sure if it partook,
but it did linger for a while.  Another was really cute in that it seemed to be
playing "hide & seek" with a wasp that had gotten itself inside an empty clear
plastic thistle feeder.  The hummer and the wasp seemed to be doing a little
"flight dance" around and around the feeder with the hummer flying around
outside and the wasp flying as its "dancing partner" inside.  It might have
gotten
"nasty" if there hadn't been a  plastic wall separating them as both
creatures seemed a little agitated.

It's only been immatures and females this week, but I did have a couple of
brilliant males the weekend of the 11th.

Another good bird today was a red-bellied woodpecker in my back yard.  I
don't always have them although I can always find them up at the WSMV property
about 1/2 mile away as the crow flies.  WSMV has a better quality of trees!

Best of birding to ye all,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN