[TN-Bird] Hummingbird Haven!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:06:56 EDT

Greetings,

At about 5:30 PM yesterday, the storm clouds were gathering over Charlotte
Park, and I noticed quite an influx of hummingbirds hitting on my feeder.  I
went to the window and could see 10 or 12 of the little things flitting around
and about in my back yard and seemingly taking turns at the feeder.  It was the
largest group I've seen in THIS back yard EVER.  It was almost reminiscent of
the last time the cicadas were here.  It was like hummers were everywhere,
just everywhere.

As with most previous years, I have not been blessed with hummers until
recently.  I saw one that was hot on the tail of a mourning dove as it chased
it
across my deck and beyond on July 18.  It did not seek out my feeder when I was
watching.  FINALLY, on July 21, several females and immature began to trickle
in and dine at my feeder.  Finally, I had one gorgeously gorgetted(sp.) male
feed for a few minutes yesterday morning.  On two different days, I have had
a/two hummingbird(s) on which the white of the throat wrapped up and over the
wings where they are attached to the torso and onto the back causing the
bird(s)
to look as if it/they are wearing suspenders.  Another bird, assumably a
young male, had a dark, thin stripe down the throat extending seemingly lower
than
usual giving it the resemblance to a calliope with one stripe.  I suspect its
a young male ruby throat getting ready to develop his complete ruby throat.

Anyhow, thank God for the precious hummingbirds.  I just wish they would come
to my house earlier when they return from their winter sojourn instead of
just giving me a couple of months of their beauty when they start to return
south.  Although I left my feeder up and cared for all last winter, I never got
hit on it although others in the Nashville area were much luckier.  I'll try
again this winter.  I'd sure love to have something really special come and
stay
for a while.

Happy hummingbirding,

Dee Thompson