[tn-bird] Hummers and other goodies in Lewis/Perry Counties

  • From: "Anna Varney" <arvarney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:46:29 -0500

Hi all,

Anyone missing their hummers in Nashville, fear not for they are in my yard in
Lewis County.  After the rains of last week cleared out, the hummers came to
feed once again.  All are Ruby-throated, either female or juvenile, no adult
males have been seen for over a week.

On Fri afternoon, when the sun finally came out, I watched as a Red-headed
Woodpecker stretched out on a leafy branch, spread his wings slightly and
basked in the sun.  At the same time an Eastern Phoebe did just about the same
thing on the ground, although it looked as if this bird tilted its body to get
some sunshine on its belly.

Expecting to see lots of birds Saturday at a wooded hilltop location in Perry
County I was rather disappointed when things just weren't flying in.  The
previous weekend we had birds everywhere with not a lot of time to watch.  Did
get good long look at a Yellow-throated Vireo.  Also, both Summer and Scarlet
Tanagers, Red-eyed Vireos.  About 15 Blue Jays flew overhead at 11 a.m.

Saturday, back in Lewis County, I got good looks at a Black-throated Green
Warbler.  It flew from tree to tree for a while, always staying within 15'.  I
thought I saw this bird in Perry County the weekend previous but wasn't sure.
Several more seen today, along with Tennessee Warbler (another 1st), Summer
Tanagers and several Eastern Bluebirds-which is never regretful.

On a different note, the dill in the garden that reseeded itself from last year
is now food for 18 Eastern Black Swallowtail caterpillars.  Today's ratio is
7-over 1" long, 5-near 1" long, 6 less than 1" long.  Yesterday, we had 9 over
1" long.

Seen a small black salamander with silvery specks-second time I have seen this
type, both times in Perry County.  This location has several springs and seeps.
 It will be interesting to study this area more when we finally move to it full
time.

Anna Varney
Summertown, TN