[tn-bird] Hummers

  • From: Gary Casey <gcasey2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:27:15 -0400

Hi All,
After a much needed rain cooled my part of the world down,
I dined alfresco on my patio and was delighted  with the
little emerald hummers that are passing by. A week ago I
was seeing mostly imatures or females, but the last few days
males are it and they are bumping in to each other. It's fun
to watch them as they  defend their space.

Two Carolina Chickadees dropped in on this scene and one of them
lit on a hummer feeder. It put it's bill to the feeder port,but
of course, it couldn't extract anything. Just then, a hummer flew
in to the next perch and the two of them eyed each other; as they
leaned in their heads touched and they backed off and flew away.
That was neat.

Gary Casey
Kingston Springs, Tn

Bird is a noun and a verb.