[tn-bird] Hummer

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 17:18:01 EDT

Finally, I had my first-of-the-season ruby throated hummingbird today, a
scrumptiously beautiful male.  He came to the feeder while I was at the sink
washing dishes.

The across-the-street pair of mockingbirds are BOTH carrying food again to
their fourth nesting (same nest, fourth clutch).  They have actually reared
to completion two nestings of young, then lost the third to a massive storm
which apparently drowned the babies the parents had just began feeding, and
now the same parents (or at least on the now repaired same nest) come on call
for the peanut butter which they are carrying to their screaming open mouthed
babes across the street.  I have to watch them sneakily from my living room
as the man over there is not considered approachable by anyone in the
neighborhood.  These are my parent birds who just flat appear at my beck and
call. They chase all the older babies away from this food before they start
carrying food to each other as the sit on the next nesting.  One of the
youngsters from the first nesting (or another young bird from elsewhere) came
back to try to feed a couple of weeks ago, and we had WAR for two days until
these parents finally got it across to the young bird that it was absolutely
no longer welcome here.  I knew it was a young bird as it still had the
yellow at the corners of its beak and down the throat when it opened its
mouth to hiss and squawk back at the older birds.

Guess I'd better run and feed the parents again.  It is about time for more
peanut butter.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN