[TN-Bird] Huge numbers of birds come with the rain & a weird coincidence

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:44:04 EST

Good morning,

The neighborhood is FILLED with birds here in the Charlotte Park area, West
Nashville, Davidson County just east of the Cumberland River across from
Bell's  Bend.  Though not spectacular in species, they are spectacular in
number.

Hundreds of robins, red wings and starlings are all over the yard and in  the
trees.  All my regular feeder birds are here as well.  The  red-wings were
creeping along the tree branches seemingly finding something  edible in the
hackberry and pine bark.  Most of the red wings appear to be  immature males.

A peregrine flew up from an adjacent yard and off to the east.  I  don't know
if it had gone down after something or not.  It did not appear  to be
carrying any prey.

A really funny coincidence happened when I heard something "tap" on my
French door.  It was a titmouse.  I noticed that the peanut butter was  all
gone--AGAIN!  Now, I don't for a moment believe that the titmouse has  taken
lessons
from the mockingbird and was "calling me out,"  but...................??
Well, I did put more PB out, and it is all gone  again.  Some fell to the deck,
and a female cardinal just now ate  that.

Looks as if I'll be refilling feeders much of today as food is  disappearing
almost as fast as I can put it out there!  All the extra birds  came in just
as it started to drizzle here and are feeding in this light  rain.

Birding is sooooo exciting.  Enjoy!

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN