[TN-Bird] Hudsonian Godwit & Sandhill Cranes. Franklin Co. 11/17

  • From: Dan Snell <dan_snell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 21:47:07 +0000

11/17/15
Franklin County: Estill Springs
just north of Estill Springs City Park
Beth Page Road:
N35.27098, W-086.11681 pulloff coordinates
DeLorme Tennessee Atlas & Gazateer (2014 Edition) page 74, B-3

Hi all,

Just
wanted to get this out- early this afternoon there is a Hudsonian
Godwit loosely associating with a flock of Killdeer along a drawn down
TVA lake bed. Also, four Sandhill Crane made a brief circling flyover
before flying just above the treeline, southbound. I will enter the data
into e-bird with pics in the next day or two.

The area where the
godwit is on TVA public land- the pulloff is ample for only two
vehicles. Should you decide to go for it- be warned that you will need
to walk on the lake bed to access the godwit. The lake was drawn just a
few weeks ago and certain areas is very soft and muddy.

During my
observation time, the shorebird flock alighted once and I was able to
see the black tail end, white rump, and black pits and wing undersides
to confirm it to be a Hudsonian (and not a Black-tailed or Bar-tailed).
The bird does have an injured leg- but it is good to know the bird
appears to fly healthy.

Good Luck to all who look for it!

Dan Snell
Lynchburg, TN