[TN-Bird] Hoopoe OT

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 13:20:18 -0600

This is somewhat OT and has only to do with a strange sound my wife and I heard
while stopped in S. Dakota's Badlands in 1995.  It sounded like a drawn out
"Hoooopeee" .  Now I know Hoopoes are not indigenious to the USA especially the
Desert West, but we distinctly heard the sound.  Maybe it was a Pararie Dog or
something, but the people at the visitor center could offer no help as to what
made the sound. It did not sound like the Hoopoe on Google so it isn't a
Hoopoe. Are there any other avian species that inhabit the badlands and make a
sound like we heard? Maybe some serious birder out there can shed some light on
what we heard that morning.

Jesse Livingston
Troy, TN USA