[tn-bird] Hooded merganser/E. TN

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 19:18:02 -0400

    On June 14th at 7:30 am I found a male HOODED MERGANSER in the area
of Campbell County, TN   known as Doaks Pond/ (TVA area)
Hooded Merganser is unusual in this area in Summer.
I looked for a female,  even returning about 5:00 pm to search again, but
I did not see one or any evidence of breeding even though there are
several Wood Duck boxes around the pond providing an opportunity.
He was in the company of Wood Ducks.

  From this location I birded the rest of the day up into KY. Even though
this is TN bird line, I wanted to report what I thought was a very large
population of
GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS. They were near the Cumberland Gap National Historic
Park boundary in an apx. 2 - 3,000 acre pasture/older strip mine/
mountaintop cove type area. I stopped counting at SIXTY TWO  birds just
driving around  the area, and I am sure the population could easily be as
high as 100 if a density population survey were done. Also, breeding
Horned Larks..nearly stepped on a nonflying young!
I can give exact directions/ GPS to anyone interested. Gorgeous place and
well worth a drive up there. The habitat is reminiscent of western
prairie lands.

Nell Moore
jimimoore@xxxxxxxx
Caryville, TN