[TN-Bird] Hooded Warbler Cleveland, TN

  • From: robert loveday <rhloveday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:18:35 -0800 (PST)

After finding a brown headed nuthatch in our pine trees this
evening, we searched further & Leigh found a beautiful male
hooded warbler foraging around the pine needles in our back
yard! We both got great looks with the binocs from as close as
25 ft. away, & it even fanned its tail at us. What a winter
surprise!

We have moved from Knoxville for a 2 yr. stint in Cleveland, &
are just now able to bird the area. Fletcher Park today yielded
a red breasted nuthatch among all the yellow rumps & r-c
kinglets.  Last week, we saw 70+ green winged teal with a few
pintails at Brainard Leevee. Booker T. Washington Park allowed
us great looks at Common Goldeneyes, and Hiwassee Wildlife
Refuge had 1000 or better Sandhill Cranes. We have also met some
nice folks down here from the Chattanooga TOS chapter.

Robert & Leigh Loveday
2940 West Lake Drive
Cleveland, TN