[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge Sunday Report

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN- BIRD <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 18:48:47 -0800 (PST)

Unless the hooded crane was sighted after I left the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge
in Meigs Co. at Birchwood about 4:45 p.m.Sunday, it was NOT seen again today.
The last sighing of the hooded crane at the HWR was on Monday morning, January
30. Please note Vicki Henderson's post today;she had a report from a friend
that a hooded crane had POSSIBLY been spotted in Sullivan County, Indiana, on
February 1. I did observe 1 whooping crane this morning from the Cherokee
Removal Memorial Park overlook. Several hundred sandhill cranes were in view
today as were: Cooper's, red-tailed, and Northern harrier hawks, a snow goose,
and immature bald eagles. A resident of Montana today raised the state total to
47. Also, a Nigerian visitor raised the count of nations represented at HWR
since December 14 to 14.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN