[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge Eagles and More

  • From: "Charles Murray" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 09:52:58 -0800

Many birds were quite active both yesterday morning and during the three hours
I spent at home in Birchwood (Hamilton County) and at the Hiwassee Wildlife
Refuge viewing area and at the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park, both in Meigs
County at Birchwood. 41 species were identified this morning. If the ducks at
HWR and CRMP hadn't been so far away, even for a scope, the number of species
identified could have been higher. I saw at least 3 adult  and 4 immature bald
eagles from the CRMP overlook. At the HWR viewing area, I watched as an
immature bald eagle grabbed a coot that was under the water at that instant.
I've never seen that before, nor have I seen an eagle hover as much before
diving on waterfowl.

Other notable observations for this morning will be listed below. H = HWR; C =
CRMP; G = Gunstocker Creek area; H = home.
        * 4 white pelicans - C
        * around 60 sandhill cranes - C + H
        * sharp-shinned hawk - C
        * 2 kestrels - G
        * belted kingfisher - C at the old ferry landing
        * several eastern meadowlarks - G
        * golden-crowned kinglet - H (FOS)
Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN