[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge Bald Eagles

  • From: "Charles Murray" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TN Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 02:23:13 +0000 (UTC)

From the observation deck at the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park at Birchwood in
Meigs County, I saw 11 immature bald eagles standing in shallow water over a
mud bar in the Hiwassee River late this afternoon. One of them was feeding on a
carcass of something (sandhill crane ?), and the rest were waiting their turn.
I also saw an adult bald eagle on Hiwassee Island. A few hundred sandhill
cranes were roosting in the shallow waters around the island and on Tennessee
River mud bars near Hiwassee Island.
Charles MurrayBirchwood, TN