[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 06:43:07 -0800 (PST)

The number of sandhill cranes seen from the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park
overlook in Meigs County at Birchwood last evening and this morning is sharply
down from a couple of weeks ago. However, there were still at least a few
thousand there early this morning. Some visitors to the park from Cookeville
yesterday reported seeing flocks of sandhills heading north over the past few
days.

I am noting the highest numbers of bald eagles that I've seen all winter. At
least ten were seen on or near Hiwassee Island late yesterday, and this morning
I saw 11 immature eagles and one adult. Most were feeding on carcasses.
Yesterday the carcass was a sandhill crane. This morning the eagles were too
far away to be able to determine what they were feeding on.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN