[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Refuge - Meigs County

  • From: Hugh Barger <hughbarger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 17:01:13 -0500

This morning from the gazebo I observed between 1200 to 1500 sandhill
cranes, about 25 mallards and at least two immature bald eagles.  While I
was there, Bruce Dralle pointed out 7 snow geese that were flying over the
far hill, north of the gazebo. One was a blue morph.  The geese were seen
two more times flying with sandhills when all were flushed by something.

From the Cherokee Memorial I observed at least 3 rafts of ducks which
included 70-100 gadwalls, about 35 northern shovelers, about 50-60
ring-necked ducks, 15 northern pintails, 4 redheads, about 5-6 canvasbacks
and 4 mallards.  Also 40-60 coots and 30 or more pied-bill grebes. Four
immature bald-eagles, 12 herring gulls and about 100 sandhills were also
seen.

Hugh Barger