[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Refuge

  • From: Ryan Kamp <lewa_green@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 19:57:39 -0800 (PST)

Greetings fellow binocular wielders,

Today called for an impromptu trip to Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge, with the
following results as the fruit of my labor:

Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge, Meigs, US-TN
Nov 23, 2012 11:20 AM - 12:45 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Seen from the main Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge observation point.
20 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  100
Tundra Swan (Cygnus columbianus)  1
Gadwall (Anas strepera)  120
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  30
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca)  50
Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)  1
Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris)  90
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)  3
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  2
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  2
Sandhill Crane (Grus canadensis)  60
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  1
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  1
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  5
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  1
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus)  2
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata)  5
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  3

View this checklist online at

For the (much) elaborated version, and pictures, I put a post up on my blog
here: http://easttennesseebirding.wordpress.com/

I would type more here, but my eyes are now officially starting to hurt from
staring at a computer screen for too long. Thanks to everyone who reported the
Swan, as that was my main reason for going out today.

>Ryan Trenkamp
McMinn Co.
Niota, Tennessee

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to
remain silent."
- Thomas Jefferson
Extinction is forever.