[TN-Bird] Re: Hiwassee Information Wanted

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx, TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Daniel Moss <dmoss5@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:51:06 -0800 (PST)

Tommy and Virginia,

I haven't been there in the last couple weeks, so I can't give you
updates.  But I recommend that you check the big mud flats on the way
into the refuge if you take the more north-east route in (sorry I
don't remember the road names, and the map and street signs don't
sync anyway!)  I highly recommend a scope for a trip to Hiwassee.

I also recommend that, when you leave the refuge, you check 3 spots
taht are all close:

1) take a right out of the refuge.  At the next intersection go
straight, instead of left (the way you would have come from, had you
come straight up from Cleveland, instead of taking the more
northeastern route - I recommend looking at the DeLorme Gazateer,
where it'll be pretty apparent)  After about 1/4 mile you'll see corn
field on right.  Continue to top of first small hill, stop car and
get out to listen/look for sparrows both in field on right and
hedgerow on left.  Then go to bottom of hill and do same, paying
particular attention to left side where there is a small pond and big
brush pile (ignore the duck decoys!)

2) Follow road about 1 mile to end at water.  Check for all kinds of
water related birds (cranes, loons, ducks, cormorants...).  In summer
this is a great area for damselflies and good for dragonflies.

Park.  Drive to top of gravel driveway.  Get out of car and walk
uphill through woods to the water overlook.  Scan the mudflats and
water across the river carefully.  This is one spot from which the
Whooping Crane is being seen.  You should have a scope for this spot.

4) come back past the refuge, drive about a mile, and look for a pond
on the left with power lines running nearly over the pond.  You'll be
at or near the top of a crest.  Check the wires, the fence and the
hedgerow for Loggerhead Shrikes.  I've had them there 2 times in the
last 2 years.  Then yo might as well continue straight and check out
the mudflats again.

Good luck!  And please tell me what you see, as I'll be leading a
trip there this weekend as part of the TOS winter meeting (info can
be found at www.tnbirds.org)

Charlie

=====