[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Correction and Follow-Up

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN- BIRD <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 08:22:12 -0800 (PST)

On my Sunday report of observations at the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in Meigs
Co. at Birchwood, I mentioned a post from Vickie Henderson. Actually, I noticed
this morning that her note was not a post to the TN Bird list serve, but a
reply to me about my Saturday post to TNBird. Her comment did relate to a
POSSIBLE sighting of a/the hooded crane in Indiana on Feb. 1. I checked the
Indiana list serve this morning; there have not been any more postings about a
possible hooded crane in that state, but they are reporting thousands of
migrating sandhills returning to Indiana. There have been NO hooded crane
sightings at Hiwassee since Monday, Jan. 30. That includes this morning. I did
see 1 whooping crane from the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park early this
morning. I also saw 2 immature bald eagles working to catch a waterbird (coot
?). Before the hunt was over, there were 4 immatures and 2 adult bald eagles in
pursuit of the prey. The prey bird was dropped back
 into the water a couple of times. One of the immatures finally flew away with
the catch.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN