[TN-Bird] Hidden Lake State Park, Oct. 9, 2011

  • From: Collinsc1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 13:42:26 -0400 (EDT)

Hidden Lake State Park
Davidson County, TN
Sunday, Oct. 9, 2011
8:00 am - 10:00 am
Calm winds, clear sky, starting temp around 50 F, and finished in upper
60's

This was my first visit to Hidden Lake SP in a month, and there was a lot
of bird activity this  morning. Warblers were abundant, with MAGNOLIA being
the most, then TENNESSEE. I spotted a few BLACK AND WHITE, CHESTNUT-SIDED,
and PALM, and individual COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, NORTHERN PARULA, NASHVILLE,
and  PINE.

DOWNY WOODPECKERS were numerous - I saw at least 16 including a group  of
about half a dozen in the same tree.

There were two RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS calling to each other as they flew
over the Harpeth River heading toward the nearby Veteran's Cemetery. Shortly
after seeing those, an OSPREY flew overhead (that was a first for this park
for  me) barely above treetop height.

Other species of interest were YELLOW-THROATED VIREO (a very  cooperative
individual that gave me some great looks at it), WHITE-EYED  VIREO, BROWN
THRASHER, CEDAR WAXWING (first of the season), and ROSE-BREASTED  GROSBEAK.

Clay Collins
Nashville, TN