[TN-Bird] Hickory-Priest CBC results

  • From: "Chris Sloan" <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:53:22 -0600

16 observers in 5 parties participated in the Hickory-Priest CBC January
1.  This count focuses on the two Nashville-area TVA lakes - Old Hickory
and J. Percy Priest - and it also includes Shelby Bottoms in east
Nashville.

With one feeder watcher pending, we have recorded 90 species, which is
slightly above average.  Highlights included:

3 American Tree Sparrows (in three different locations - this was the
photo quiz bird.  This is only the second time I can remember this
species on this count since I've been participating.)
1 Sedge Wren (at Shelby Bottoms where it is present most winters)
2 Orange-crowned Warblers (at Shelby Bottoms - one was present last
year)
1 Merlin (NOT the one that used to winter at Percy Priest, which wasn't
present last year either)
1 Chipping Sparrow
1 Rufous Hummingbird (a female that I had previously banded in Madison)
3 White-breasted Nuthatches (may not seem like a big deal, but we
inexplicably miss this almost every year)
2 Red-breated Nuthatches

Notable misses:
Eastern Phoebe
Great Horned Owl