[TN-Bird] Heronry request - IBA potential

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Birding" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 10:44:49 -0500

I thank all that responded to my first request for heronry information.
I am sending this request again in hopes that if you missed it or didn't
have a chance to respond, that you will now.  Even though you might
think a site has been reported, and it may not have been, different
observers at different times can see different things, therefore
providing updates.  The request follows:

Heronries that regularly support 25+ breeding pairs of wading birds
(e.g., bitterns, herons, egrets) or 100+ individuals feeding or in
migration could qualify as an Important Bird Area (IBA).  I would
appreciate knowing of any site that you are aware in Tennessee that you
think meets this criteria or is close.  Even though a site might not
meet the criteria now, it could in future years and its presence should
be know so that is can be monitored and protected.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee