[TN-Bird] Heron nesting colonies and vultures

  • From: "James, Wesley K." <wkjames@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:45:14 -0500

In reference to recent TN-Bird posts by Wallace and Charlie Muise
regarding heron nesting colonies, I would like to encourage all
observers of these sites to look for and note the presence of vultures
in the vicinity of the colonies.  In recent years I have noted the
presence of vultures (mostly black-possibly non-breeding sub-adults?) at
several established heron nesting colonies in the Fort
Loudoun-Tellico-Melton Hill-Watts Bar Reservoir areas.  While I have not
observed any predation (eggs or fledglings) by vultures to date, at
least one heron nesting colony in the Fort Loudoun-Tellico area where
numerous vultures were present throughout the nesting season went from
approximately 30 active nests to 0 over about a three year period.  I
know that heron colonies do disperse and move around over time, however
I suspect in this case that the presence and numbers of vultures may
have influenced the success of this nesting colony.
I am going to be more closely monitoring heron nesting colonies on local
reservoir areas this year and I will post any observations of vultures
or other factors that may be influencing nesting success.  I encourage
all observers to do the same to help us determine if there might be some
relationship between heron nesting colonies and vulture
roosting/concentration areas.

As a sidenote, we have had several vulture "incidents" reported to us
over the last couple of years which include the tearing off  (and
possibly eating) of windshield wipers and sun roof gaskets on vehicles
parked at fishing and boating access sites near Fort Loudoun Dam and the
"consumption" of jetski seats on Watts Bar Reservoir.  It appears that
black vultures are the primary culprit in these cases.

Wes James
Lenoir City, TN
Wesley K. (Wes) James, Wildlife Biologist
Tennessee Valley Authority, Resource Stewardship
Little Tennessee Watershed Team
260 Interchange Park Drive
Lenoir City, TN  37772-5664
865-632-1312  Fax: 865-632-1313