[TN-Bird] Herndon TOS field trip report

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:35:42 EDT

Sunday 17 APR 2005
2:00 - 8:00 pm
Herndon Chapter TOS field trip report

     Rob Biller, Dianne Draper, Jacki Hinshaw and Don Holt participated in
the Elizabethton Bird Club field trip to western Washington Co. and the home of
Pat and Pat Sterns.  While touring their yard we saw a male YELLOW WARBLER,
the first of the season for all of us.  We also encountered a beautiful pale
grayish variation of the common CORN SNAKE, Elaphe guttata.  It was quite
exciting, in different ways to different individuals.  :-)
     A whole book could be written about how good the food was, and how
gracious the hosts were.  We are very grateful for the Sterns' hospitality.
     We later visited the Great Blue Heron nesting colony as reported
previously, where we saw nestlings being fed, and a BROAD-WINGED HAWK.  At
Clark's
Creek Rob's keen ears detected BLACK AND WHITE WARBLERS and a WORM-EATING
WARBLER.  On Jackson Bridge we had close views of dozens of CLIFF SWALLOWS,
then a
too close view of an ultra-light aircraft that buzzed us as we stood on the
bridge.  :-(
Later, Rob had to leave early, but then Dianne, Jacki and I went to Dry Creek
Rd. on Buffalo Mountain and heard at least three WHIP-POOR-WILLS singing just
after dark.  All in all, a most enjoyable field trip.  Many thanks to Jacki
Hinshaw for her help in bringing this event together.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN