[tn-bird] Her Highness sends mixed signals

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx,ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:05:57 EDT

Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

I went to the pits this afternoon at 4:30 PM and ran into Jerry Ingles from
Sewanee, TN. We had good looks at the Reeve but I caught her napping once,
she was not feeding as heavily and flew away more frequently during my visit.
After Jerry left I relocated the immature male Wilson's Phalarope and a LB
Dowitcher came in to feed near by.

I sat and watched Her Highness and scanned the birds until 7:30. I would not
bet that the Reeve will be here tomorrow but she did still feed some so? The
resting cycles indicates she is near full and may pull out soon. I'll try to
get back down tomorrow to locate her and see how she is acting. If still
present I'll let those know that are planning to come Saturday what your
chances are and try to save you a trip if she has gone.

The male that stayed for 60 days some years back disappeared for a few days
once and I guess he decided it was too good and came back. You never know but
her activity today indicates she is ready to go.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.