[TN-Bird] Henslow's Sparrows in TN and KY (and Big Barrens progress report)

  • From: jgiocomo@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 17:07:52 -0400

We are still seeking Henslow's Sparrow information in Tennessee and
Kentucky. I posted an updated map with the locations of the new
Henslow's Sparrow county records this year (web.utk.edu/~jgiocomo).
Keep your ears open in the often neglected grassland areas (even in
east TN) for the weak call that passes as a Henslow's Sparrow song.

At Fort Campbell and the surrounding Big Barrens Study Area (Including
parts of Trigg, Logan, Simpson, Christian and Todd counties in KY and
parts of Stewart, Mongomery and Roberston counties in TN) our crew, led
by Daniel Hinnebusch and assisted by Daniel Moss (and partially funded
by TOS!), are monitoring over 100 nests including >10 Henslow's
Sparrows, >40 Field Sparrows, Dickcissels, Prairie Warblers,
Yellow-breasted Chats, and various other grassland associated species.

The Henslow's Sparrows are just finishing their first successful
nesting cycle and are gearing up for their second attempts. The
Dickcissles are just starting to show signs of nesting activity. Of the
three nests I found this weekend, two were found while the female was
carrying material to the nest. This may be due to the recent mowing of
the hay fields in the surrounding area causing a re-shuffling of birds
to unmowed sites.

Finally, we were able to find a pocket of Henslow's Sparrows north of
Elkton, KY on private agricultural land. The field contained about 40
individual males singing, and we are trying to find their nests. When
we searched the surrounding fields within two or three miles of the
original field, we found two more fields with significant populations
of (presumably) breeding Henslow's Sparrow populations. We are still
working on getting permission to work in the new fields.

They are out there, we just need to be looking in the right places.
Keep you eyes (and ears) open!

--Jim Giocomo
Knoxville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES