[TN-Bird] Henslow's Sparrows Found - Maury County

  • From: "Tommy Edwards" <Tommy.Edwards@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 19:05:12 -0500

Today confirmed my belief that Henslow's sparrow could be found if you
look hard enough.  I have been stomping through fields in Maury County
to find this bird ever since I saw them in Stewart County, AEDC, Fort
Campbell, and Bark Camp Barrens.
On May 20 of this year, I decided to walk out a large hay field just
north of Columbia to see what I could find. That day, I found only one
singing Henslow's sparrow.  After conversing with Daniel Moss and trying
to convince myself it wasn't true, I held off to June to see if this
bird was a late migrant.  Today June 3, I went back and found at least
5, and a possible fledgling.  After chasing weird noises in the grass, I
finally had a bird to flush and set in the sun for 10 minutes.  During
this time the bird was making a continuous alarm note that I had been
hearing all morning in the fields around me.  After the bird settled
down, it gave the famous hick-up song, and then I knew, I was not
chasing a ghost. Also there were numerous DICKCISSELS, and I located a
single singing GRASSHOPPER SPARROW.  All these years this place has been
under my nose.  I am excited to see what this property has to hold.  I
will keep you informed.

Good Birding, and keep looking

Tommy Edwards
Mayfield-Gray Chapter