[TN-Bird] Henslow's Sparrows

  • From: "Tommy Curtis" <tcbirdwatch@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird Post" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:16:58 -0500

Since the site to see Henslow's Sparrows here in DeKalb County has been
eliminated due to mowing of the field where they were found in previous years,
Virginia and I decided to visit the one near Manchester this morning.  Lots of
the sparrows were singing but were difficult to actually see.  We finally
managed scope looks at four but all were in the bright sun and it was
impossible to get photos.  Blue Grosbeaks were numerous at the site as were
Yellow-breasted Chats.  We also saw one Yellow-billed Cuckoo and a single
Eastern Phoebe.
Directions to the site have been posted before but I repeat them just in case
you missed the previous ones: Exit #114 going east on I-24; turn left at the
end of the ramp onto 41S which does not logically seem to be going south.  In
about a mile, turn left onto Asbury Road.  After almost exactly 5 miles on
Asbury turn left onto Hickerson Road; before Hickerson there are several roads
and a single road without a road sign so don't waste your time going down that
one to the dead end as we did.  Stay on Hickerson past the sharp curve at a sod
farm and beginning at the next curve is the sparrow site marked with a Barrens
WMA brown sign.  It might be different when you visit but all the sparrows we
found and heard were on the right side of the road this morning.

Tommy Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County

                       MAP RESOURCES