[tn-bird] Henslow's Sparrow at Kyker Bottoms!

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <dollyron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 20:19:02 -0400

Tn-birders,

The Knoxville chapter of TOS had a field trip to Kyker Bottoms this morning. It
was slow starting off, as there was heavy fog when we arrived about 0830. We
birded for a while at the northern end of the refuge until the fog started to
lift. Then we went to the lower barn (on Garland Road). We had quite a bit of
activity behind the barn. There were lots of Savannah Sparrows to compare with
Song Sparrows, and we also had a Grasshopper Sparrow.

We had walked out into the scrub behind the barn, birded for a bit, and then
were walking back towards the barn, when we flushed a dark little sparrow. It
flew to a brush pile that contained pieces of lumber and an old tire. We
couldn't see it well, as every time it flushed it hunkered down in the brush. I
eventually walked through the brush pile enough times that the bird finally sat
up in a bush and we all had a great look at a HENSLOW'S SPARROW. This was about
1100.

Not much else to report from the field trip, but we did have a Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker and a Swamp Sparrow.

Ron Hoff
Clinton, Tn.