[TN-Bird] Henslow and LeConte's Sparrow in Hamilton County

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <znaturalist@xxxxxxxxx>, "sharp_h" <sharp_h@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:26:24 -0500

Dan Jacobson and I walked a couple of fields to sample sparrow numbers
on the morning of Sunday November 10.  We first walked the Riverport
fields (off Amnicola Hwy, Chattanooga) and came up with 8 species with
the best being 6 Vesper Sparrows and 1 HENSLOWS Sparrow, it was a county
year bird for both of us.   Henslow's is a very difficult species to see
in Hamilton County despite being breeders in middle TN.

We then put our waders on and mucked through the Brainerd Levee behind
Brainerd High School.  We had mostly Song and Swamp Sparrows but did
flush and get excellent looks of a single LeCONTE'S  Sparrow.  This the
first confirmed record for the levee and only the second or third for
Hamilton County.  Dan was thrilled with this two new Hamilton County
year birds which put him up in the 230's for the year in Hamilton
County! It was certainly the first time these two Ammodramus  sparrow
species were seen in the same day in Hamilton County. Dan has already
blown by the county annual record of 219, a fantastic feat!

Kevin Calhoon

Assistant Curator of Forests

Tennessee Aquarium

423-785-4070