[TN-Bird] Henry County yard birds including Bald Eagle

  • From: Shawna Ellis <yodergoat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 23:34:22 -0500

March 10, 2015

We've had some good yard birds with this last round of snow, although
we never did get an American Tree Sparrow (despite looking carefully).
The weather brought in several species we don't usually have at our
feeders: Rusty Blackbird, Common Grackle, Red-winged Blackbird,
Brown-headed Cowbird, European Starling, Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow, a
single Pine Siskin, and yesterday and today (after the snow) we had
visits from a Pine Warbler. We commonly have Purple Finches but there
were more than usual (in the twenties), as well as just large numbers
of birds in general. But it never did get to the influx of birds that
we had in the ice/snow event in early March of 2014. That storm last
year brought in an almost unimaginable number of birds, including at
least 5 American Tree Sparrows which brought us to a whopping (for us)
nine species of sparrow on March 3, 2014. But alas, not this year.

The recent snow also brought a good movement of ducks and gulls flying
overhead. But the most surprising "yard bird" in these last several
days occurred today, with an adult Bald Eagle which flew very low
overhead. It was at about the height of a large beech tree and very
impressive at that distance. It gave brief but great looks for my very
surprised father and uncle who were standing with me while I pointed
and yelled, "That's an eagle!"

We do live relatively near KY Lake, perhaps a 15 minute drive to
Britton Ford and closer to some of the "bottoms" of the Big Sandy
River if you could go straight over land, but have only seen one other
eagle flying near our yard, years ago. Bald Eagles are a very (VERY!)
common sight for us at the refuge or Paris Landing, so I do not point
and yell out when I see them there... but they do warrant such unusual
attention when soaring right overhead in the yard and with non-birding
onlookers nearby!

Shawna Ellis
Paris, Henry County

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan