[TN-Bird] Henry County yard birds

  • From: Shawna Ellis <yodergoat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 10:53:09 -0600

February 16-20, 2015
Paris, Henry County

Of course with the snow here we have had much feeder activity,
bringing in a few birds which we usually only see at the feeder during
these conditions.

Besides the many usuals, we have had these birds which generally only
show up during snow: three Rusty Blackbirds, three European Starlings,
a Red-winged Blackbird, a Song Sparrow, a Fox Sparrow and a single
Pine Siskin. I'd been looking for Pine Siskins for days before our
single bird showed up at my parents' feeder across the road. The
competition must have been too fierce there at the single feeder and
it came over here where there are several feeders spread between two
areas.

We've had several Purple Finches all winter, but now our number is up
to about 15. But no House Finches at all...

The most unusual visitor we've had is a Hermit Thrush which comes to
the water several times a day. There is good Hermit Thrush habitat
where we have seen several at one time just 150 yards or so away, but
they are hardly ever seen right in our yard. I suppose having the only
unfrozen water in the vicinity helps. Our bird bath de-icer is
struggling to keep even a small area of the water thawed in this
weather.

Included is a photo of the activity under one of our main feeders (a
platform on top of a tower) which includes the Pine Siskin on the
left. And the other photo is of the thirsty Hermit Thrush. Pardon the
poor quality, these were taken through the kitchen window which is a
little hazy.

Shawna Ellis
Paris, Henry County