[TN-Bird] Re: Help with shorebird ID

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rick houlk" <rhoulk@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "David Chaffin" <davchaffin@xxxxxxx>, <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:34:43 -0400

All,

We would like to hear everyone’s thoughts as well. Least should be the smallest
sandpiper, but sizes do vary some. Semipalmated SP is the most variable
sandpiper according to some authors. No droop in the beak to us rules out
Western and Least. Our vote is Semipalmated Sandpiper. If we were reporting
this one, we would probably report it as peep sp.

The behavior of not associating with the others could be anything or nothing.
Sometimes we don’t like being around others of our kind too!

We got there about 1 pm and only had 4 Least, 3 Semipalmated Plovers, and 1
Semipalmated Sandpiper that was not the bird in the photos you sent.

Good luck,

Ron Hoff & Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN