[TN-Bird] Re: Help! THANKS!!!!!!! New Flicker note

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 13:51:10 EDT

TN-birders sure know how to come through!  Thanks to all of you who sent my
chipmunk post back to me while I was running errands and getting lunch!  To
answer one question as to whether I had gotten a hundred or so yet--well, not
quite, but close!
Y'all are a fine bunch, and thanks for making it possible for me to do a
little short-lived bragging to my high school chum and her husband.  Wonder if
should admit to them that the chipmunk hasn't returned?  Maybe chipmunks at my
house are like cicaedas--one every seventeen years!

When I returned from errands and alighted clumsily from my car, I heard the
flicker give its kuk-kuk-kuk-kuk-........call from the dead ash tree at the
edge of the drive.  I looked up there to see it diligently hacking a hole in
the
trunk about 25 feet up.  I watched for about ten minutes before slipping
inside the basement door to come upstairs.  It would kuk-kuk, then peck at the
hole
it was creating, then kuk again and peck some more.  That pattern continued
with the bird kukking again just as I closed the downstairs door.  By the time
I had put some groceries into the downstairs refrigerator and got upstairs,
the bird had departed--probably to visit with the other flicker that had been
answering from somewhere in the back yard.  When I walked out on my deck, I
could get past the side where the entrance to the "new" hole is, and it looks
as
if the bird has gotten a good start.  These flickers have been "messing around"
in the neighborhood for a month or more, and I wonder if they have just now
decided to make a home or if they have had a "failed" nesting already.
Hopefully, the electric transformer I have mentioned in past posts is just
their
"meeting place" for their courtship.  The pair that used it as a nesting site
some
years back turned out "extra crispy" after a lightening storm knocked the
power out shorting the transformer!

Now, let's all go find a fine bird for today.  Thanks again.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN