[TN-Bird] Hello Blackpolls!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:26:57 EDT

Good Morning,
When I went out to fill the feeders at my home in the Charlotte Park section
of West Nashville near the Cumberland River in Davidson County this morning, I
heard the high pitched tones of my wonderful little blackpoll warblers that
visit every spring.  I looked up to see two males and a female "working" a tree
behind the deck.  The males are in perfect breeding plumage and would stop to
"talk" every so often as they searched the tree for food.  I've always gotten
blackpolls every spring since I moved to this house in 1991.  I really do not
understand why they seem to have my yard on their migration route as it
doesn't seem quite "forested enough" here to be that attractive to this
species,
but they DO come, and I really enjoy them.  It may be the close proximity to
the
Cumberland which seems to attract a lot of species to my area.

An ominous threat to my house wrens came in the form of a female cowbird
peeking down toward the nest from the grapevine along the edge of the deck this
morning.  I shushed her away, but that doesn't mean she might not gain access
when I'm not looking.  Since the nest is under the deck, she could sneak in
unbeknownst to me.  I've had quite a few cowbirds around lately, so they are
probably breeding and searching for nests to invade.

Cheers, prayers & happy birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN