[TN-Bird] Hawk Migration / Ensley Bottoms

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:10:09 EDT

Sept. 27, 2003
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Well, there was a continuance of the hawk migration that I witnessed Saturday
on Sunday. After looking around through the shorebirds and finding a marked
decrease in Semipalmated, Western and Pectoral Sandpipers and adding a basic
plumaged LB Dowitcher for the weekend list, I started sky watching.

It paid off between 8:45 and 11 AM with the following: American White Pelican
- 253, DC Cormorant - 306, Sharp-shinned - 1, Cooper's - 2, Broad-winged
Hawks - 33, Red-tail -6, Red-shouldered - 4, Bald Eagle -1 adult, Harrier -1,
Osprey - 1, Black Vulture - 7, Turkey Vulture 1, and last but not least an
immature tundrius Peregrine which took one of the few immature Pectoral
Sandpipers
left ("He who hesitates is lost") and sat out in the open to feed. It consumed
wings and legs whole and left but a few bright feathers as evidence to the
Pectoral's short existence.

This wanderer from the far north posed for a few photos and one shows its
very long toes as it held its large foot extended. If interested I'll send
photos
if you drop me a line. This bird finished off its meal and went right back to
hunting rather than resting, evidently needed more fuel for the trip. As
usual an awesome display to behold. It also produced 3 Buff-breasted Sandpipers
from their hiding places in the rutted fields.

Total raptor weekend - 11 species, Total weekend shorebird species - 15

Sunday morning, I woke up to the soft hoots of a male Great Horned Owl, looks
like they will use the same perch outside my window to woo again this year;o)
As Dean said about his latest yard bird and the CUBS "WOOOOHOOOO"

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN