[tn-bird] Hawk Migration

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:41:03 EDT

Sept. 5, 2002
Centennial Island
Tipton Co. TN

Late Thursday afternoon, I watched three kettles of raptors form and drop to
the south at the above location along the Mississippi River. The most
numerous birds were Mississippi kites with at least 117 birds counted. They
seemed less inclined to top out at the thermals and spent a lot of time
feeding. Broad-winged Hawks were next in line coming in from the north
hitting the bottoms of the kettles moving rapidly upward and continuing
south. A total of 56 Broad Wings were counted along with a single
Sharp-shinned and in the short time I viewed this movement (4:45-5:30 PM) two
Osprey moved through and another was seen feeding along Densford Bar.

Two different Yellow-bellied FC were seen at Eagle Lake Refuge and a few
photos were taken. No habitat for shorebirds but 12 Black-necked Stilts and a
few Killdeer were observed.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA