[TN-Bird] Harlan's Hawk - Hardin County

  • From: "Jud Johnston" <rivendell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 20:06:36 -0500

Below Savannah today I flushed a dark morph Harlan's hawk, within 300 yards of
where I flushed one in December.  It seems likely to be the same bird.  The
head, upperwings, and body are all black except for a streaky white area on the
upper breast.  Underwings show a black inverted coat hanger shape, with the
trailing edges looking a muted silver due to black barring on white.  The tail
is white, finely barred with black, and has a silvery gray terminal band.

Both times when flushed, the bird responded by climbing out and soaring up to
300 feet or higher.  The hawk was located down Diamond Island Road (about 3
miles south of Savannah), within 1/4 mile of the Tennessee River.  I noticed
today the sign is missing for this road, but it's 0.3 miles south of Hopewell
Baptist church.

Also saw a couple of palm warblers in this general area today - one in fall
plumage, one in spring.

Good birding,

Jud Johnston
Waynesboro, TN