[TN-Bird] Hamilton co.,TN birds

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:28:00 -0500

Dan Jacobson, Bonnie Johnson and I birded Hamilton co.,TN on Sunday,
February 22.  We had a great day with 83 species as a group!
Highlights included:
- A total of 80 REDHEADS between Booker T Washington State Park (45),
Wolftever (29) and Standifer Gap Marsh (6).
- 1 female WHITE-WINGED SCOTER from the boatramp at Booker T Washington
State Park.
- 1 immature Bald Eagle at Booker T.
- 1Peregrine Falcon on the railroad bridge below Chickamauga Dam.
- 218 Sandhill Cranes seen at Chickamauga Dam, Standifer Gap Marsh and the
Brainerd Levee.
- 1 Dunlin behind Boyd Buchanan at the Brainerd Levee.
- At least 2 VIRGINIA RAILS at Standifer Gap Marsh.
- 38 Wild Turkey at the model airplane field on Moccasin Bend.  The males
were displaying with their tails fanned out.
- A total of 3449+ gulls, mostly at Wolftever.  3036 Ring-billeds, 13
Herring and 400+ Bonaparte's.
- 1 Marsh Wren at the Riverport
- 1 ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER at the nature sanctuary at Baylor school.

On February 23 I did a PINE SISKIN search on Signal Mountain. I came up with
5 at a residence along Key Hulse Rd, off of Taft Highway. (apple orchard
turn-off). There are several houses with feeders along that road and the
siskins can be seen at any number of them.  They have been seen off and on
most of the winter.

Kevin Calhoon
Chattanooga, TN