[TN-Bird] Hamilton County Big day, May 5, 134 species

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Harold Sharp" <sharp_h@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ray Zimmerman" <znaturalist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 11:19:20 -0400

David Hollie, Dan Jacobson and I did our second annual Hamilton County
big day on Monday, May 5.  Weather was great but very warm!   We totaled
134 species which was four more than last year.  We had 28 species of
warblers which was good, but shorebird species were low and couldnt
find an accipiter, nor could get a Virginia Rail or Sora at Standifer
Gap Marsh so there is certainly room for a larger number.  Highlights
included:

Cravens House

Red-breasted Nuthatch (most unexpected bird of day)

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Canada Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Brainerd Levee