[tn-bird] HELP with tern ID-Forster's???

  • From: "ANNA VARNEY" <arvarney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 11:53:34 -0500

Hi all,

Birding at Monsonto Ponds today-between 10:30 and 11:30 I had what I
believed to be a tern.  Anyway, I turned to the chapter on terns in the Nat.
Geog. field guide and this bird did what terns are described as doing-plunge
dive after prey.  So, I looked a bit longer.  The bird would fly close
enough to see detail-namely the large, pointed black bill and black marks
around the eyes, panda bear like. The tail was very forked.  The closest
thing I could match to is winter adult Forster's Tern.  The black around the
eyes did not continue over the bird's head.  The bird was seen while
standing at the observation platform area around viewing area furthest from
the entrance off of Monsanto Road (#3-I think).  I really need to think
about a digital camera!!  If anyone is interested in coming out, let me
know.

Anna Varney
Summertown, TN