[TN-Bird] Gulls still present at Pickwick, plus Red-throated Loon!

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 19:27:50 -0600

11/2/09
Pickwick Dam area
Hardin Co

I arrived above the Dam at Pickwick at 07:30 this morning, there were maybe
200 gulls in the area. Within 10 minutes I had a short look at a darker-end
1st-cycle Thayer's Gull. It was on a rail briefly, then made a few passes
around the area before disappearing. The adult California Gull was also
sitting on the rails, and I had it in view for over an hour, sitting side by
side with both Herring and Ring-billed. The big adult Lesser Black-backed,
and two 1st-cycle Lesser Black-backs were present, and a single sleeping
Franklin's Gull. There was only one gull flying around below the Dam when I
went down there. I never saw a Bonaparte's, so settled for a 6 gull day.

After getting my fill of gull goodies, I went down to the campground below
the Dam and had 5 Brown-headed Nuthatches. I also had 2 in a small stand of
pines just below the Inn at Pickwick State Park. Other highlight was a
Red-throated Loon out from Bruton Branch. I had 5 Common Loons in the area,
and though I searched all morning I couldn't find the Eared Grebes that had
been seen over Jeff's last couple of trips.

I went back to scan the gulls at about 12:30, and literally had nothing but
Herrings and Ringers, not a single one of the goodies was out there, not
even a Lesser Black-backed. I couldn't stay for the afternoon show, but
definitely seems like early or late is the time to try for these birds.

I made a quick trip thru the bottoms, and found very little. Practically all
of the fields were in cotton or soybeans, with very little grassy sparrow
habitat. I did find one nice little patch of panicum, where a single
LeConte's Sparrow flushed from.

I will post a few photos later. The only gull I shot was the California, and
my distant shots aren't near the quality of Jeff's. I will post one just to
post though. I did get some decent shots of the Nuthatches for a change, the
ones below the Inn would come down to practically eye-level, and were in
smaller trees anyway. The birds over below the Dam always seem to stay up in
the tops of the big trees there.

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN