[TN-Bird] Re: Greater Scaup, Hohenwald

  • From: shaawitya@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 22:27:25 +0000 (UTC)

Hi All

Like Bill, I'm wondering if there is a trend this winter toward more Greater
Scaup observations than in years past also. I've had three observations of
Scaup in the last month, and in my opinion, all have been Greater. One male was
on a small pond at Bent Creek Golf Course in Cobbly Nob, near Gatlinburg. I'm
not sure if this was a county record or not, but it was the first for ebird.
Then, a few day ago, while at the Douglas Dam headwaters near the dam and boat
ramp, I found what I believe to be 17 Greater Scaup in with a small raft of
Redhead. And then today, I'm almost certain to have found a female Greater
Scaup at Bent Creek Golf Course in Cobbly Nob. I am editing a few digitized
scope photos that I will post later to see what others opinion is regarding
this female. Stay tuned

Keith Watson
Pittman Center, TN