[TN-Bird] Great horned owls

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:26:00 EST

Greetings Everyone,

I was "serenaded" last night between the hours of 7:45 and 9 PM by a couple
of great horned owls hoo-hooing it up in my neighborhood.  One sounded as if it
was in the trees that border the interstate I-40 West), and the other sounded
as if it were in a neighbor's yard a couple of houses across from mine.
Since I had one answer my call by coming to the utility pole in front of my
house
at 4:41 AM on Dec. 20 (Nashville CBC day), and Tarcila Fox and I called one up
in the little parking area by the old Cleece's Ferry ramp in Charlotte Park
at dusk the same day, I knew we been having them in the area.  One was also on
the utility pole way back behind my house on Sunday night.  I think they,
along with the night-prowling neighborhood cats, have discovered the MICE that
are
eating the bird seed that I scatter on my deck for the birds and may be
frequenting my area in quest of an hors d'ouevre.  A screech owl has also been
seen
off and on, and it probably has the same thought in mind.  Every now and
then, something BIG enough to set off the motion light on the deck gets on
there
at night which immediately sets my poodles into spasms of barking.  Sometimes,
even I hear a "thump" from something being "pounced upon" at night.

Isn't it fabulous to live in a populated neighborhood and still have
reasonably abundant wildlife--almost as good as being raised on my parents'
(then) 640
acre farm in Florida when I was a little girl?

Blessings to all birdwatchers for a very merry Christmas and a happy, happy
good-birding New Year!  If you are a birdwatcher who does not celebrate
Christmas, blessings to you on your holiday.

Dee Thompson (Charlotte Park near the old Cleece's Ferry)
Nashville, TN