[TN-Bird] Great "Yard Bird"

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:16:05 -0300

I added the first new "yard bird" for my home since May 8, 1994 today and it
was a great species to get.

When I drove up the driveway to my house, located smack dab in the city of
Bristol, Sullivan Co., TN, I saw a WILD TURKEY hen walking slowly.  Then a
big gobbler came around a tall oak about 20 feet from my main feeder.  He
had his tail spread and all the wonderful colors of a male head and beard on
the strut in spring.

I quickly reached for my binoculars and watched the beautiful pair for about
15 minutes.  During that time I watched him stretch his neck forward and he
gobbled at least 8-10 times.  It was a wondeful performance.

One of my neighbords had called me one afternoon about three or four years
ago to ask that I come quickly.  He had a front yard full of 19 Wild Turkey.
By the time I got there they walked away and we couldn't locate them.

My house is located on almost two acres of a wooded hillside.  Most of the
hill is a low knob in the ridge and valley region and I suspect she will
nest somewhere close.

This is the first time I have seen the species in my neighborhood but I did
see a Coyote walking under a street light in my front yard just after
midnight about a year ago.

Let's go birding.....
Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN