[TN-Bird] Great Horned Owl - Wayne County

  • From: Jud Johnston <rivendell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 00:10:59 -0500

Stepped out into the backyard about an hour ago and happened to notice a large bird perched on a bare limb in my neighbor's yard, 12 feet from the nearest cover and 75-100 feet up. Should have known what it was right away, but I fetched the binocular and could see the ear tufts. He (I think) began calling every minute or so. At first he called three notes, but later just a single elongated whoo. He was still there 45 minutes later. At midnight it's 80 degrees and 97% humidity. Lightning and thunder at a distance, but the moon is undiminished by clouds here.

Jud Johnston
Waynesboro, TN